Thrifty Thursday: Genealogical Forum of Oregon

The Genealogical Forum of Oregon, located in southeast Portland, houses one of the largest independent genealogy libraries on the west coast. The collection consists of approximately 10%  Oregon resources, with the other 90% being made up of regional, national and world wide resources. The library is open to the public 9:30-5 Monday -Thursday, 9:30-3 on Saturday, and noon-5 on Sunday. They are closed on Fridays. Admission for non-members is $7, except the first Monday of each month, when admission is free. Membership is $35 a year for individuals, and gets you free access to the library, as well as subscriptions to The Bulletin (quarterly which contains a free query section for members)  and The Insider (their newsletter – back issues can be viewed online), and the privilege of checking out books and periodicals from the library.

In addition to the library, the GFO has several searchable indexes available on their website:

  • Oregon Provisional Land Claims
  • Donation Land Claims
  • Early Settlers Forms
  • Multnomah County Marriages 1855-1910+
  • 1890 Veterans Census
  • Oregon Death Certificates 1903-1905 (they have paper copies)
  • Portland Death Certificates
  • Little Chapel of the Chimes Funeral Home records
  • Multnomah County Probates
  • Multnomah County Naturalizations
  • Jackson County Funeral Cards
  • WWI Draft registration – Oregon
  • 23000+ Oregon Obituaries
  • Family Genealogies

Their library catalog is also available online. If you are outside the Portland area, the GFO has a small staff of volunteers who will perform up to one hour of research at the rate of $10 per half hour ($10 minimum), plus $0.25 per copy. They also offer monthly programs, which are free and open to the public on the second Saturday of the month, and feature a different speaker each month.  In addition, the GFO holds seminars twice a year. For more information, please check out their website at

Published in: on December 23, 2010 at 10:19 am  Leave a Comment  

The URI to TrackBack this entry is:

RSS feed for comments on this post.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: